Crisis Intervention

Crisis Intervention


CAPS clinicians are available to assist students, faculty, staff, and administrators for any campus crises. We can come to any site on campus in order to speak to individuals or groups following a crisis. Feel free to contact us during regular business hours at 916-278-6416. Should faculty, staff, or administrators critically need to reach us after hours, please contact your Vice President, who can reach us through the Vice President of Student Affairs.

Staff, faculty, and administrators may receive counseling assistance through the Employee Assistance Program. More information about their services is at:

While we are available, we also do not want to impose. Research shows that individual often underestimate the resilience of those who face a crisis or trauma. Support by friends, peers, colleagues, and family can often be most beneficial.

Useful Documents

How to Manage Reactions to Trauma and Stress

Crisis Intervention

How to Handle Distressed Students

Sacramento State CrisisTeam

Sacramento State has a Crisis Team that meets to discuss and coordinate concerns about students or other campus community members. The team meets monthly (or more frequently if needed). 

As matters discussed may be sensitive,the discussions are confidential; however, in all cases where other university officials need to be notified about an issue, a team member will contact the appropriate campus resource.

Current Committee Members

  • University Counsel – Jill C. Peterson, 278-6940
  • Chief of Campus Police – Mark Iwasa, 278-7321
  • Director of Student Conduct – Ardith Tregenza, 278-6062
  • Associate VP Labor Relations and Compliance – Kent Porter, 278-6779
  • Associate VP of Student Affairs - Beth Lesen, 278-6060
  • Director of CAPS – Ron Lutz, 278-7358

Members of the campus community should contact any of the above individuals should he/she have a concern about a student, staff, faculty member, or any other relevant situation.


For medical or psychiatric emergencies, please call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest hospital.