How to Sign Up
The ASIST workshop is for caregivers who want to feel more comfortable, confident and competent in helping to prevent the immediate risk of suicide. Two day Participation is required. This training is full and now closed.
- Small group discussions and skills practice that are based upon adult learning principles
- Experience powerful videos on suicide intervention.
- Feel challenged and safe
- Learn suicide first aid
|May 7-8, 2014 - CLOSED||8:00 am - 5:00 pm||The WELL Terrace Suites|
This is a four hour training to prepares individuals over the age of 15 to identify persons with thoughts of suicide and connect them to suicide first aid resources. Most people with thoughts of suicide invite help to stay safe. Alert helpers know how to use these opportunities to support that desire for safety. As a safeTALK-trained suicide alert helper, participants will be better able to:
- Move beyond common tendencies to miss, dismiss or avoid suicide
- Identify people who have thoughts of suicide
- Apply the TALK steps (Tell, Ask, Listen and KeepSafe) to connect a person with suicide thoughts to suicide first aid, intervention caregivers
|April 24, 2014||1:00 pm - 5:00 pm||The WELL, Room 1031A|
|May 21, 2014||8:00 am - 12:00 pm||The WELL, Room 1031A|
Mental Health First Aid
An 8-hour interactive course on mental illness and substance use disorders in the U.S. and introduces participants to risk factors and warning signs of mental health problems, builds understanding of their impact, and overviews of common treatments. Individuals choosing to take the 8-hour course to certify as Mental Health First Aider will learn a 5-step action plan encompassing the skills, resources and knowledge to help an individual in crisis connect with appropriate professional, peer, social, and self-help care. Click here to express an interest in this training.