Eligibility & Insurance FAQ

Eligibility & Insurance FAQ

All currently enrolled students at Sac State who pay student health fees as part of their tuition fees, are eligible to be seen by Student Health & Counseling Services. Health Services Fees provides for basic medical services as defined by EO943 and basic Mental Health Services as defined by EO1053.

Augmented services may be offered which include those services that are considered elective or specialized in nature and NOT included as basic health services.  These services vary and are offered on a fee for service basis.

  • What services are available at the Student Health & Counseling Services?
    • Health and Wellness Promotion services (including student internships )
    • Immunizations
    • Laboratory services
    • Primary/Urgent Care clinics
    • Confidential medical records
    • Vision center
    • Pharmacy
    • Counseling & Psychological Services
    • Violence & Sexual Assault Support Services
    • STI/STD Testing (Family PACT)
    • Violence & Sexual Assault Support Services
    • Reproductive Health
    • X-Ray
  • I already have health insurance; do I still need to pay the health fee?

    Yes. Student Health & Counseling Services (SHCS) fee is a mandatory fee that provides services to all enrolled students. SHCS offers convenient, affordable, accessible care without copays or deductibles. SHCS embraces a holistic and collaborative approach to healthcare offering urgent care, primary care, preventive services, wellness education, violence support services mental health and counseling services and is accredited through the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care Inc. (AAAHC).

  • Since I pay health fees with my tuition fees are all the services free?

    Most services are either covered by SHCS fee, but some services carry an additional fee. Some fees may apply to specialty services, procedures, labs, vaccines, prescriptions and supplies.

  • Does the Student Health & Counseling Services offer after hour and weekend services?

    Although SHCS is not open in the evening during the week or on the weekends, there is a Nurse Advice line which can be accessed through the SHCS main number (916-278-6461) after regular business hours. Also, students can access Hornet MD for information via a smartphone compatible website that provides self-triage and targeted escalation to the appropriate health resource on any mobile device. For more information please visit www.csus.edu/hornetmd. Now that my child has the services at the Student Health & Counseling Services do you recommend that I cancel his/her health insurance? No, SHCS is not health insurance. We recommend that students maintain health insurance coverage for emergency or specialty care services.

  • What immunizations are required to attend Sacramento State?

    The California State University (CSU) system requires new and re-admitted students born on or after January 1, 1957 to present proof of immunity to measles and rubella, or be immunized. Students under the age of 19 also need to show proof of immunity to the Hepatitis B virus, prior to their second semester at Sacramento State. I’m currently on a medication. Can I transfer that prescription to Student Health & Counseling Pharmacy? Also, will you bill my insurance for that prescription? Depending on the medication, it is possible to transfer prescriptions to SHCS. We are now contracted to bill Medi-Cal and select commercial insurance. Please present your insurance card with the prescription information to the Pharmacy staff.

  • Is Student Health & Counseling Services considered a health insurance plan?

    Student Health & Counseling Services is NOT a health insurance. All currently enrolled students at Sacramento State who pay student health and counseling fees as part of their tuition fees are eligible to be seen by SHCS. Basic care and preventive services are provided; however, most specialty care, hospital care, or after-hours care is not provided. We recommend that students maintain health insurance coverage for emergency or specialty care services. Please check with your current insurance plan’s coverage network. Your current health plan may not cover medical services while you are attending school outside of your coverage network.

  • I do not have health insurance. Do you sell student health insurance?

    SHCS does not require or sell health insurance. However, it is important for students to have insurance coverage for emergency and specialty care services. Student Health insurance is available for purchase through Associated Students Incorporated (ASI). For more information visit www.csuhealthlink.com. Beginning January 1, 2014, under new federal law, many CSU students and their families may be eligible for financial assistance with purchasing health insurance. In California, the exchange for health insurance is called Covered California. Covered California is an online marketplace for affordable health insurance coverage. For more information visit www.coveredca.com or www.calstate.edu/coveredca/about/.

  • What are my options for health insurance?
    1. Staying on your parent’s health insurance plan until you are 26 years old.
    2. Medi-Cal coverage, depending on your income level; more information can be found at www.coveredca.com

    3. Job-based health insurance coverage, if your employer provides it to you.

    4. If you are a former foster youth in foster care on your 18th birthday, you may be eligible for Medi-Cal until you are 26 years old.

    5. Purchase a private health plan through the California Health Care Exchange, Covered California.  You may be eligible for premium assistance (discounts) based upon your income.  More information can be found at www.coveredca.com

    6. Student health insurance is available for purchase through Association Students Incorporated (ASI).  More information can be found at www.csuhealthlink.com

  • If I left my parent’s plan, how do I rejoin?

    As long as you are under 26 years old, you can be added to your parent’s insurance plan even if you are married or not claimed as a dependent on your parent’s taxes. Your parent’s insurance plan must already offer coverage for dependent children. You may not be able to join if your parent has a “retiree-only” plan. You can talk to you parent’s insurance company or plan administrator. If your parent’ health insurance coverage is through their job, the best person to speak to is usually the Human Resources department. You and your parent may have to complete forms with your contact information and possibly your health information. Many plans have an “open enrollment” period that is usually before the New Year and starts coverage on January 1st. If your parent can only add you during this time, you will normally have to wait until the next “open enrollment” period.

  • Do my parents have to claim me as a dependent on their taxes to stay on their health insurance plan?

    No. The Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act requires health insurance companies to allow young adults to be covered on their parent’s plan until the age of 26, if the plan offers dependent coverage. The young adult can be covered regardless of tax status (dependent or independent), student enrollment, marital status, or state of residency.

  • How does the Affordable Care Act help former foster youth

    Beginning January 2014, young adults who were in foster care until their 18th birthday will be eligible to receive Medi-Cal until the age of 26, regardless of income. To qualify, the foster youth must have been in foster care, or placed by the dependency of the court with a relative, on their 18th birthday. California provides coverage to foster youth even if they were in foster care in another state until their 18th birthday. For more information and the required documents that are needed to apply, please contact your local county office or Sacramento County Health & Human Services at (916) 874-3100.

  • What is Medi-Cal?

    Medi-Cal offers low-cost, or even free, health insurance coverage for California residents who meet certain income and eligibility requirements. When you complete an application for Covered California, your application will be reviewed for Medi-Cal eligibility. You can enroll in Medi-Cal any time during the year but you must meet the eligibility criteria to have health insurance coverage through Medi-Cal. For more information about your eligibility or to apply, please visit mybenefitscalwin.org. You can also apply at your local county office or Sacramento County Health & Human Services.

  • What is Covered California?

    Covered California is the health insurance marketplace established for California under the Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act. Covered California allows you and your family to compare health coverage options and choose which health insurance plan best fits your needs and budget. Covered California is the only health insurance marketplace that provides financial assistance (premium assistance) to make health care insurance options more affordable. For more information and to find out if you are eligible for financial assistance, please visit coveredca.com or call Covered California at (800) 300-1506.

  • What are the “essential health benefits” included with health insurance plans?
    1. Emergency Services

    2. Hospitalization

    3. Maternity & Newborn Care

    4. Ambulatory Patient Services

    5. Laboratory Services

    6. Preventive & Wellness Services and Chronic Disease Management

    7. Prescription Drugs

    8. Pediatric Services, including oral and vision care

    9. Rehabilitative & Habilitative Services and Devices

    10. Mental Health & Substance Use Disorder Services, including behavioral health treatment

  • If my income changes, will my assistance change? Who do I notify if my income changes?

    Maybe. If you are enrolled in Covered California or Medi-Cal you must notify them if your income changes, goes up or down. They can process the new information and tell you if the amount of your premium assistance will change. You must report any changes in income to Covered California within 30 days. If you are receiving Medi-Cal benefits, please contact your local county social services office within 10 days.

    It is important to report any income changes to Covered California or Medi-Cal (if applicable) because it may impact the amount of premium assistance (tax credits) you may qualify for or any assistance with out-of-pocket expenses. If your income increases, you may be receiving too much premium assistance and may be required to pay back some of the assistance when you file your taxes for the benefit year.

    We recommend that students maintain health insurance coverage for emergency or specialty care services. Please check with your current insurance plan’s coverage network. Your current health plan may not cover medical services while you are attending school outside of your coverage network.

  • What if I didn’t file taxes last year?

    If you did not file taxes last year, you are still eligible to apply for health insurance and possibly receive premium assistance based upon your income. Your income is used to help find the most affordable health insurance plan for you or your family. If you qualify for premium assistance, you must file taxes for that benefit year.

  • If I am claimed as a dependent by my parents, or family members, will their income count towards my income for eligibility?

    Yes. If you expect to be claimed as a tax dependent by your parents or family members, their income and your income will be counted in determining your income eligibility for Covered California and Medi-Cal. For more information or to determine what your income eligibility will be for health insurance, please contact Covered California at (800) 300-1506 or Sacramento County Health & Human Services at (916) 874-3100.

  • Can I decline Medi-Cal coverage and enroll in Covered California health insurance plans and still receive the federal premium assistance?

    No. You are eligible to purchase a health plan through Covered California but you cannot receive premium assistance (subsided coverage) to reduce its cost.