New! The COVE Cookbook
Nutrition services offered at Student Health and Counseling Services include individual counseling and group classes. Among the services provided are:
- Individual Nutrition Counseling
- Diet Analysis
- WIN (Healthy Eating Program)
- Cooking Demonstrations
- Interactive Educational Presentations
- Information and Resources on Healthy Eating
Individual Nutrition Counseling
Nutrition consultations include nutritional assessment, counseling, education and follow up (if needed) with a registered dietitian. Nutrition counseling is available for a variety of nutrition related health issues:
- Eating Disorders
- Digestive Problems
- Food Allergies or Intolerances
- Healthy Eating and Meal Planning
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol/Triglycerides
- Sports Nutrition
- Vegetarian/Vegan Diets
- Weight Management
- Other Nutrition Concerns
How to Make an Appointment
- Call Health and Wellness Promotion at 916-278-5422.
- In-person by visiting Health and Wellness Promotion on the first floor of The Well (Room 1011).
- Ask your Student Health and Counseling Services provider for a referral.
- Health and Wellness Promotion - 916-278-5422
Diet analysis appointments are available for students who are interested in evaluating or improving their diets. A diet analysis will help you:
- Assess, monitor and modify your diet as needed
- Ensure your nutritional needs are being met
- Optimize your diet to enhance your personal health goals
- Evaluate your meal planning
All diet analysis appointments include a one-on-one meeting with a trained peer health educator. They will help you navigate your diet analysis results and answer any general questions you might have. You will also receive educational resources on nutrition and healthy eating and referrals to professional staff as needed.
Diet analysis forms can be picked up in Health and Wellness Promotion on the first floor of The Well (Room 1011). Completed forms should be returned to Health and Wellness Promotion and during that time, an appointment will be made to review results.
If you are a faculty member interested in using diet analysis as part of your class, please contact our Health and Wellness Promotion office at 916-278-5422.
WIN Program (Well Into Nutrition)
WIN is a 5-week healthy lifestyle program offered every spring semester. Our profesional staff and Peer Health Educators assist in making healhty changes to your life; giving you the skill set to succeed.
- Nutrition assessment with a registered dietitian and Nutrition Peer Health Educators
- Cooking demonstrations
- Weekly meetings with trained peer health educators
- Wellness booklet and packet filled with recipes, meal ideas and other tips and tools
- Nutrition goal setting
- Incentives for participation
- Healthy eating on campus
How to sign up:
- Recruitment begins in December. If interested, please leave your name and contact information with us. We will contact you to discuss program details and eligibility.
- Or, call 916-278-5422 or stop by Health and Wellness Promotion inside The Well.
Join us and learn how to cook food that is healthy, delicious and easy to prepare. Our classes are designed with the busy college student in mind and cover a wide variety of cooking styles.
We offer free cooking demonstrations for students during Fall and Spring semesters. View our upcoming schedule here: https://shcssacstate.org/wellness-promotion/events.
All cooking demonstrations take place in The Cove on the first floor of The Well and include recipe demonstration and samples. Class size is limited – stop by Health and Wellness Promotion or call 916-278-5422 to reserve a space!
Interactive Educational Presentations
Nutrition presentations are available upon request and include a wide variety of topics. Submit an online request here: https://shcssacstate.org/wellness-promotion/about-us
Information and Resources on Healthy Eating
Stop by the Health and Wellness Promotion office on the first floor of The Well (room 1011) for questions about healthy eating and nutrition. We have a variety of resources on hand to help you out! For credible online information, check out the following sites.
Healthy Online Resources
Body Image & Eating Disorders Resources
About Face www.about-face.org
The National Eating Disorders Association: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
Cooking and Recipes
Diet Analysis Tools
Fast Food & Restaurant Nutrition Facts
Most chain restaurants have nutrition info on their websites, so check out your favorite restaurants!
Nutrition & Health Organizations
- All Recipes Dinner Spinner
- My Fitness Pal
- Lose It
- Eating Well Healthy in a Hurry
- Spark People Mobile & Spark Recipes Mobile
- My Tracks
- Map My Fitness
- Restaurant Nutrition
- My Food Nutrition Facts
- Fitness Pro